18 February 2019 | UK NEWS
7 MPs have left the Labour Party. They will sit in Parliament as an independent grouping and will not form a new party. The MPs are Chuka Umunna, Luciana Berger, Chris Leslie, Angela Smith, Mike Gapes, Gavin Shuker and Ann Coffey. They have resigned over Corbyn’s leadership – in particular, his perceived inability to tackle anti-Semitism.
Trade Secretary Liam Fox is arguing for zero tariffs in many sectors in the event of a no deal Brexit. Others in Government oppose this under the belief it would damage British producers. The Government will publish a report on what no deal tariffs it will support next week.
Speculation is mounting that Article 50 will be extended in March.
– Brexit Secretary Stephen Barclay to meet EU negotiator Michel Barnier today.
– Defence Secretary Gavin Williamson to face the House of Commons this afternoon.
What we’re reading on the Internet:
– Anti-Brexit independent group is run from above a Weatherspoons – Guido
– UK Household sentiment falls to 11 month low on slowing economy and Brexit fears – City AM
– What Britain should do after a no-deal Brexit – FT